Aston Villa vs Leeds LIVE: Team news and latest build-up tonight

Dean Smith’s new-look side have been in tremendous form since the beginning of the season, winning four successive matches, including their 7-2 thrashing of champions Liverpool.

Leeds, meanwhile, have enjoyed their return to the top flight, taking seven points from their opening five games, and are sitting comfortably in 10th position. Follow all the action live below:

1603478518

If Leeds’ Patrick Bamford scores tonight he will have scored in the club’s first three away league games of a season for a second consecutive year.

Michael Jones23 October 2020 19:41

1603478198

Aston Villa will set a new club record if they win tonight. It will be the first time they’ve won their opening five games of a season.

One big reason for that is new goalkeeper Emi Martinez, who has kept three clean sheets in the first four games.

Martinez told BT Sport: “We had a great start. We knew the quality of the team. We couldn’t have started better. I know [Marcelo] Bielsa and his teams and how they play, so it is going to be a tough one.

“My team-mates and everyone welcomed me with open arms from day one. I am really happy here.

“Everyone is really focused. We are not talking about top of the league, just beating Leeds. The ambition of everyone at the club is really good.”

Michael Jones23 October 2020 19:36

1603477960

Leeds have started this season in decent form. They’ve won two, lost two and got a draw from their first five games back in the Premier League and midfielder Mateusz Klich believes there are points to be won at Villa Park tonight.

He told BT Sport: “We lost the last game but we have good memories of last time here (Leeds won 3-2 with an injury-time goal). We know Aston Villa have had a great start but so have we. We showed we can play good football. We come to try to dominate and to win the game.

“We are going to press high and try to win the ball and score goals. Aston Villa have not conceded many but now is the time to change that.”

Michael Jones23 October 2020 19:32

1603477522

Ross Barkley could be the best signing for Aston Villa since joining on loan from Chelsea. He’s made two Premier League appearances so far and scored in both games, against Liverpool and Leicester respectively.

Manager Dean Smith says Barkley has made a ‘big impact’ at the club and has backed him to get back into the England squad. He said:

“The fact we’ve gone out and managed to entice that calibre of player into the squad has certainly gone down well in the dressing room and with our staff and fans as well.

“He’s not played the amount of minutes he’s wanted to [at Chelsea]. His job now is to produce performances for Aston Villa that take the eye of Gareth Southgate and get him back into the England squad.”

Michael Jones23 October 2020 19:25

1603476947

Aston Villla midfielder John McGinn knows that Leeds can be tough customers and that his team will be in for a difficult night despite winning all four Premier League games this term. He said:

“The humility needs to stay, and we can’t get ahead of ourselves. We’ve got 12 points now and 28 more points will get us safe, and then we can move on from there,

“In the first season we probably tried to look a bit too far ahead too soon. It’s an exciting time to be a part of Aston Villa and hopefully that can continue.

“I think I speak for most Premier League teams when I say that Leeds is one of the most difficult fixtures on the calendar.

“You need a couple of days off after you’ve played them, but hopefully they’ll be tired from their game against Wolves.

“Villa Park is somewhere we want to make a fortress, and we’ve done that so far this season. Hopefully we can carry that on this Friday.”

Michael Jones23 October 2020 19:15

1603476641

Michael Jones23 October 2020 19:10

1603476514

Kalvin Phillips’ absence means Pascal Struijk deputises at number four as he did for a handful of games last season.

The injuries of Liam Cooper and Diego Llorente caused Marcelo Bielsa to do a bit of reshuffling. Luke Ayling moves into the centre of the defence with Stuart Dallas dropping in a right back and Ezgjan Alioski on the left.

Michael Jones23 October 2020 19:08

1603476055

Michael Jones23 October 2020 19:00

1603476023

Michael Jones23 October 2020 19:00

1603475609

John McGinn feels as though he’s back to his best after finishing last season’s post lockdown campaign on the back of injury.

This season he’s made four assist and scored one goal in Villa’s unbeaten start to the season and feels back to his usual self. He said:

“I knew post-lockdown that criticism would come. I wasn’t going out there to play for myself, I was going out there to try and help Villa stay in the league,

“The manager knew that, I knew that and everyone around me knew that I wasn’t going to be anywhere near the player I know I can be.

“The main thing at the time was not for me, it was if I could bring 60-70% of what I can be and maybe pop up with a goal or assist.

“I spent the summer trying to become pain-free because for a long, long time I was in pain. It’s great to be running around without pain, and I’m loving the fact that I’m back to 100%.”

Michael Jones23 October 2020 18:53